UIC Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering (M/C 251), 2039 ERF, 842 W. Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
Office: 2027 ERF
Lab Location: 1036 ERF
Lab Website: Coming soon
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering,
Carnegie Mellon University, 2015
MS., Mechanical Engineering,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
MS., Mechanical Engineering
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 2004
B.A., Mechanical Engineering
Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, 2002
Dr. Kim’s primary focus is the development of assistive robotic devices for improving mobility and quality of life through integrative approaches of numerical dynamic models, machine learning techniques, experimental testbeds, and controlled human-subject experiments. At present, she works on developing assistance methods to enhance balance and walking economy using wearable devices (e.g., exoskeletons and prostheses). As a part of this effort, she is also interested in using those devices to understand further an impaired gait and advance training methods of motor function. In line with this research, Dr. Kim also explores the control of autonomous devices (e.g., legged robots).
- M. Kim, T.Chen, T.Chen, and S.H. Collins, An ankle‐foot prosthesis emulator with control of plantarflexion and inversion‐eversion torque, Transactions on Robotics, 99: 1-12, 2018.
- M. Kim†*, Y. Ding†, P. Malcolm, J. Speeckaert, C. Siviy, C. Walsh, and S. Kuindersma, Human- in-the-loop Bayesian optimization of wearable device parameters, PLoS ONE,12 (9), e0184054, 2017, († equal contributor, * corresponding author).
- Y. Ding†, M. Kim†, S. Kuindersma, and C. Walsh, Human-in-the-loop multi-dimensional Bayesian optimization for hip extension assistance with a tethered soft exosuit, Science Robotics, († equal contributor).
- M. Kim and S. H. Collins, Step-to-step ankle inversion/eversion torque modulation can reduce effort associated with balance, Frontiers in Neurorobotics, 11: 62, 2017.
- M. Kim and S. H. Collins, Once-per-step control of ankle push-off work improves balance in a three-dimensional simulation of bipedal walking, Transactions on Robotics, 33(2): 406-418, 2017.
- M. Kim and S.H. Collins, Once-per-step control of ankle-foot prosthesis push-off work reduces effort associated with balance during walking, Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, 12:43, 2015.
- M. Kim, J. Oh, J. Lee. and M. Jeon, Development of Rollover Criteria Based on Simple Physical Model of Rollover Event. International Journal of Automotive Technology, 7(1): 51, 2006.
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings
- S.H. Collins†, M. Kim†, T. Chen, T. Chen, An ankle-foot prosthesis emulator with control of plantar flexion and inversion-eversion torque. In Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 6 pages, 2015 († equal contributor), * Best Medical Robotics Paper Award, ICRA 2015.
- Granted Patents
M. Kim, K. Roh, S. Lim, B. Lim, G. Xu, Method and apparatus to plan motion path of robot, US9411335 B2, US 20110035087 A1, filed 2010, issued 2016.
- M. Kim, K. Roh, Y. Shim, S. Lim, Robot and control method thereof, US9193072 B2, US20120072022 A1, filed 2011, issued 2015.
- M. Kim, K. Roh, S. Lim, B. Lim, G. Xu, Path planning apparatus and method for robot, US9044862 B2, US20110035051 A1, filed 2010, issued 2015.
- M. Kim, S. Lim, K. Roh, Y. Shim, Robot and control method thereof, US9014854 B2, US20120078419 A1, filed 2011, issued 2015.
- M. Kim, K. Roh, Y. Shim, Apparatus for planning path of robot and method thereof, US8924016 B2, US20120165982 A1, filed 2011, issued 2014.
- M. Kim, S. Lim, K. Roh, Y. Shim, Robot and control method thereof, US8855814 B2, US20120173019 A1, filed 2011, issued 2014.
- M. Kim, K. Roh, S. Lim, B. Lim, G. Xu, Method and apparatus to plan motion path of robot, US8825209 B2, US 20110035050 A1, filed 2010, issued 2014.
- M. Kim, B. Lim, S. Lim, K. Roh, Path planning apparatus of robot and method and computer readable medium thereof, US8818555 B2, US20110106307 A1, filed 2010, issued 2014.
- M. Kim, S. Lim, K. Roh, B. Lim, Path planning apparatus of robot and method and computer- readable medium thereof, US8483874 B2, US20110106306 A1, filed 2010, issued 2013.
- S. Lim, M. Kim, K. Roh, Y. Shim, B. Lim, Robot and control method thereof, US8768512 B2, US20120165979 A1, filed 2011, issued 2014.
- B. Lim, K. Roh, S. Lim, M. Kim, Robot and control method of optimizing robot motion performance thereof, US9037292 B2, US20110106303 A1, filed 2010, issued 2015.
- B. Lim, K. Roh, S. Lim, M. Kim, G. Xu, Apparatus and method for stabilizing humanoid robot, US8798793 B2, US20110040407 A1, filed 2010, issued 2014.
- C. Guo, K. Roh, S. Lim, B. Lim, M. Kim, Path planning apparatus and method of Robot, US8352074 B2, US20110035053 A1, filed 2010, issued 2013.
- Y. Lee, M. Kim, Uplift Commode Assist Apparatus, KR20070048722A, filed 2007, issued 2008. P15. M. Kim, A Nozzle Device For Bidet, KR100867862B1, filed 2007, issued 2008.