UIC Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering (M/C 251), 2039 ERF, 842 W. Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
Office: 3033 ERF
B.S., Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics (1997) Michigan Technological University
M.S., Mechanical Engineering (1999) Michigan Technological University
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering (2003) Michigan Technological University
Silver Circle Award for Teaching Excellence, 2016
Teaching Scholar, 2016
Pi Tau Sigma member & advisor
Innovative teaching methods and pedagogies
Book Reviews & Editing
- In Progress: Oakes & Leone, Engineering Your Future, 8th Ed., Oxford University Press.
- Siow, Y., “Incorporating Active Learning of Complex Shapes in STEM Courses,” ASEE Annual Conference, Seattle, 2015.
- Walker, W., Farhadi, A., Tsvik, G., Roesel, T., Selvarasu, N., Siow, Y. and Zhou, C., “3-D Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of Bustle Gas Combustion in a Direct Reduced Iron Plant,” Proceedings of the 2007 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2007.
- Amin, E., Pecheny, V., Gravante, G., and Siow, Y., “A Computational Procedure for Predicting Nitrogen Oxide Emissions from Diesel Engines,” SAE World Congress, 2006-01-0240, April, 2006.
- Yang, S. L., Siow, Y. K., Peschke, B. D., and Tacina, R. R., “Numerical Study of Nonreacting Gas Turbine Combustor Swirl Flow Using Reynolds Stress Model,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 125, pp. 804-811, 2003.
- Yang, S. L., Siow, Y. K., Teo, C. Y., Tacina, R. R., Iannetti, A. C., and Penko, P. F., “Numerical Study of LDI Combustor with Discrete-Jet Swirlers using Re-Stress Model,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 125, No. 4, pp. 1059-1065, 2003.
- Yang, S. L., Siow, Y. K., Teo, C. Y., and Hanjalic, K., “A KIVA Code with Reynolds-Stress Model for Engine Flow Simulation,” in print, RAN Special Issue of Energy the International Journal, 2003.
- Liew, K. H., Urip, E., Yang, S. L., and Siow, Y. K., “A Complete Parametric Cycle Analysis of a Turbofan with Interstage Turbine Burner,” 41th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, January 2003.
- Siow, Y. K., Yang, S. L., “Numerical Study and Design of Interstage Turbine Burner,” 38th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, July 2002.
- Yang, S. L., Siow, Y. K., and Teo, C. Y., “A KIVA Code with Re-Stress Model for Engine Flow Simulation,” 3rd International Symposium on Advanced Energy Conversion Systems and Related Technologies, Nagoya, Japan, December 15-17, 2001.
- Siow, Y. K., Yang, S. L., Kundu, K. P., and Penko, P. F., “3-D Analysis of Jet-A Combustion with a Kinetic Mechanism for Pollutant Species,” 37th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, July 2001.
- Siow, Y. K., Yang, S. L., Tacina, R. R., and Penko, P. F., “Design and Determination of Radial Air Swirler Blade Lengths using CFD,” 39th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, January 2001.
- Penko, P. F., Kundu, K. P., Siow, Y. K., and Yang, S. L., “A Reduced Jet-A Mechanism for Calculation of Combustion Pollutant Species,” Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Las Vegas, NV, July 2000.
- Siow, Y. K., Yang, S. L., and Sutherland, J. W., “Study of Cutting Fluid Atomization using Computational Fluid Dynamics,” Int. Journal for Manufacturing Science and Production, Vol. 2, No.2, 2000, pp. 144-152.
- Yang, S. L., Siow, Y. K., Teng, J. T., Jeng, M. H., Lin, S. S., Lee, M. T., and Hanjalic, K., “Simulation of a DOHC 4-Valve Pentroof Engine Flow Using KIVA-3V with Advanced Turbulence Models,” ASME Fall Technical Conference, Paper No. 98-ICE-141, Vol. 31, No. 2, 1998.