Checklist For New International Students with Office of International Students

Pre-Arrival checklist for new international students

Checklist For New International Students with Office of International Students (OIS) Upon Their Arrival:

Upon your arrival to UIC, please report to the Office of International Services in the Student Services Building, SSB (located at 1200 W. Harrison Street) in order to complete the necessary forms for your permanent record. You need to bring your original I-20 or IAP-66 (if you are on an J-1 VISA) form and your passport along with the I-94 card (small white card) found inside your passport.

Please note that ALL new international students will be charged an Orientation Fee of $99. (You will be billed even if you do not attend orientation.) Visit the link for date, time, venue and other information.

You must first report to the Graduate Coordinator (Ms. Iris Torres) at 2039 ERF (located at 842 West Taylor Street). Collect the Faculty Advising Form and meet your academic advisor in the Department. The advisor will help you plan your courses and provide other relevant information about your degree program. You may want to schedule this appointment in advance. Please note that registration is contingent upon a scheduled meeting with an advisor, otherwise your account may incur a registration hold that prohibits you from registering. Once you get the Faculty Advising Form signed, return it to the Graduate Coordinator who will then remove the Registration Hold.

Note that, F1/J1 non-immigrant students must carry a full-time load, that is 12 credit hours of classes per semester year-round with the exemption of summer. Students having 50% RA/ TA or GA must register for a minimum of 8 credit hours.

To register for classes you should consult the UIC Timetable. Students can receive a copy of the timetable at the bookstore located in the Chicago Circle Center (CCC), or in the bookstore located in the Chicago Illini Union (CIU). The timetable thoroughly explains registration procedures, fees, and deadlines. Once you have carefully read the contents, call 312-413-UICX (8429) to register. When you call the registration number, the system operator will ask a couple of questions before it requests your US social security number. If you do not have a US social security number, enter the 999-xx-xxxx found on the upper-right hand corner of your admission letter. Subsequently, the system will ask for your “pin” otherwise known as your personal identification number. At this point, enter your birth date in the following order: month, day, and year. Once the system verifies your information, it will allow you to commence the registration process. If you have any problems, call the UIC Express Help Line at 312-996-8600.

To obtain your student ID, go to the Student ID Center located in the 2nd floor Student Services Building (SSB) Monday-Friday between 8:30-4:00. Bring your passport and a copy of your class schedule, which you may obtain from the Records and Registration Office located on the first floor of SSB. There is no charge for the first student ID, however, a $20.00 fee is applicable if you lose it and require a new one.

To obtain your UIC email account (UIC NetID), you need to meet a consultant in Academic Computing and Communication Center (ACCC) located in the 2nd floor Student Services Building (SSB).

All full-time Graduate Students who have registered for 12 or more credit hours are eligible to get a U-Pass for unlimited travel in Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) buses and trains for the semester. A non-refundable $75.00 fee is assessed to all the eligible students (even if you do not issue/ use the U-Pass). Bring your UIC I-Card and copy of your class schedule to the U-Pass Distribution Center in SSB to get your U-Pass.
Apart from the CTA, there is also a free Intercampus Shuttle bus service available in and around the campus. For details, visit this link.

Students with assistantships or hourly paid on-campus employment must report to OIS for Employee Clearance no later than 3 days after being hired by the department or college. Contact the Business Officer in the MIE Department to get your Employee Clearance Form. The department and/or college must first complete the Employee Clearance form. Employee clearances are done daily from 2 to 3 p.m. at OIS. If you do not have on-campus employment, but want a job, stop by the Student Employment Office located on the second floor of SSB.

International students are eligible to receive a Social Security Number (SSN). To apply for a SSN, report to the US Social Security Office located at 1233 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL 60607. The office is located four blocks north of the Student Services Building (SSB), and is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday. Bring your passport/visa with the I-94 card, I-20 or IAP-66, and a Social Security letter from OIS. You need to request the Social Security letter in advance at OIS. For general questions about social security, you may contact their toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213.

All students are requested to fulfill the immunization requirements. If you fail to comply, your registration for the following semester will be put on hold. The immunization forms were included with your admissions packet. You are required to turn in a completed immunization form to the Medical Immunization and Records Office (located on the first floor of SSB) before the end of your first semester of study.

All students attending UIC must have health insurance. Registered students are automatically enrolled in the university health insurance plan. The cost is added to your tuition bill. If you already have your own insurance or plan to purchase your own insurance, you must submit proof at the Student Development Services Office (located in SSB) to be exempt from the fee.

NOTE: Immigration Documents
We recommend that you keep photocopies of all your immigration documents for your personal file.