UIC Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering (M/C 251), 2039 ERF, 842 W. Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
Office: 1237 SEO
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado Boulder, 2013
M.S., Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado Boulder, 2010
B.S., Actuarial Science
University of St. Thomas, 2006
B.A., Mathematics (Minor in Physics)
University of St. Thomas, 2006
- S. A. Wieland, S. J. Reckinger, P. E. Hamlington, and D. Livescu. Single Mode Investigations of Compressible Rayleigh-Taylor Instabilities in Isothermal Stratifications. Manuscript in preparation.
- S. A. Wieland, S. J. Reckinger, P. E. Hamlington, and D. Livescu. Effects of Background Stratification on
the Compressible Rayleigh-Taylor Instability. Technical Paper presented at the 47th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, 2017.
- S. J. Reckinger, D. Livescu, and O. V. Vasilyev. Comprehensive numerical methodology for direct
numerical simulations of compressible Rayleigh-Taylor instability. Journal of Computational Physics, 313, 181-208, 2016.
- S. J. Reckinger, B. Fox-Kemper, S. Bachman, F. Bryan, G. Danabasoglu. Anisotropy in mesoscale eddy
transport: global sensitivity and parameterized shear dispersion. Manuscript in preparation.
- S. M. Reckinger, M. Petersen, and S. J. Reckinger. A study of overflow simulations using MPAS-Ocean: vertical grids, resolution, and viscosity. Ocean Modelling, 96(2), 291-313, 2015.
- S. M. Reckinger, T. Gibson, T. Morrison, F. Hohman, S. J. Reckinger, and M. Carvhalo. The effect of
numerical parameters on eddies in oceanic overflows: a laboratory and numerical study. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- B. Fox-Kemper, S. Bachman, B. Pearson, and S. J. Reckinger. Principles and advances in subgrid modeling
for eddy-rich simulations. CLIVAR Exchanges, 19(2), 42-46, 2014.
- S. M. Reckinger and S. J. Reckinger. An interactive programming course model for mechanical engineering students. Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference, 2014.
- S. J. Reckinger, D. Livescu, and O. V. Vasilyev. Simulations of compressible Rayleigh-Taylor instability
using the adaptive wavelet collocation method. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2012.
- S. J. Reckinger, D. Livescu, and O. V. Vasilyev. Adaptive wavelet-collocation method simulations of
Rayleigh-Taylor instability. Physica Scripta, T142, 2010.
Dr. Reckinger’s research interests in engineering education are committed to the advancement of innovative teaching methodologies and pedagogies. His research interests in computational fluid dynamics are focused on the development and application of advanced numerical methodologies for the study of multi-scale fluid systems. The growth of hydrodynamic instabilities and the resulting turbulent mixing are investigated both from a fundamental perspective and within multi-physics full-scale systems. Of particular interest is the advancement of parameterizations necessary for accurate modeling of the physical processes that govern the Earth’s climate, particularly in the oceans.
- Thielen J A, Reckinger S J, Moore R J, Thomas P A, and Nirmal M. “Display Simulator.” Patent No. US 7,593,017 B2. Sep 2009.