Roberto Paoli, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 251, Chicago, IL 60607
Roberto Paoli's background is in theoretical and computational fluid dynamics and his research interests span all areas that require multi scale complex flow modeling such as turbulent multiphase flows, reactive flows, atmospheric flows and flows in thermochemical non-equilibrium. He is also interested developing and using machine learning algorithms, particularly those embedding physical constrains and data assimilation. He uses extensively high-performance computing to develop in-house codes and to fine-tune large- scale models on massively parallel infrastructures.
NSF, High-performance computing and data-driven modeling of aircraft contrails (2019-2022), PI
Argonne National Laboratory, Multiscale modeling of complex flows (2018-2021), PI
Argonne National Laboratory, Research in aircraft/environment interaction (2015-2018), PI
- S. Li and R. Paoli, 2019: Modeling of Ice Accretion over Aircraft Wings Using a Compressible OpenFOAM Solver, International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol 2019, 4864927
- D. Kolomenskiy and R. Paoli, 2018: Numerical simulation of the wake of an airliner, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 55, pp. 1689-1699.
- R. Paoli and K. Shariff, 2016: Contrail modeling and simulation, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 48, pp. 393-427.
- A. Poubeau, R. Paoli, A. Dauptain, F. Duchaine, and G. Wang, 2015: Large-Eddy Simulations of a single-species solid rocket booster jet, AIAA Journal, Vol. 53, pp. 1477-1491.
- R. Paoli, L. Nybelen, J. Picot and D. Cariolle, 2013: Effects of jet/vortex interaction on contrail formation in supersaturated conditions, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 25, 053305.
- R. Paoli and K. Shariff, 2009: Turbulent condensation of droplets: direct simulation and a stochastic model, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Vol. 66, pp. 723-740.
- R. Paoli, J. Hélie, and T. Poinsot, 2004: Contrail formation in aircraft wakes, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 502, pp. 361-373
- R. Paoli, F. Laporte, B. Cuenot, and T. Poinsot, 2003: Dynamics and mixing in jet-vortex interactions, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 15, pp. 1843-1860.
- F. Grasso and R. Paoli, 2000: Stability of shock wave reflections in nonequilibrium steady flows and hysteresis, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 12, pp. 3265-3279.
- F. Grasso and R. Paoli, 1999: An analytical study of Mach reflection in nonequilibrium steady flows, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 11, pp. 3150-3167.
2013, INCITE (Innovative and Novel Computational Impact on Theory and Experiment), US Department of Energy
2012, INCITE (Innovative and Novel Computational Impact on Theory and Experiment), US Department of Energy
2012, PRACE (Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe), European Union
2003, Post-doctoral Fellowship of Center for Turbulence Research, NASA/Stanford University
Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, University of Rome La Sapienza, 2001
Laurea (Master of Science equivalent) in Aerospace Engineering (magna cum Laude), University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy, 1998
Laurea (Master of Science equivalent) in Aeronautical Engineering, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy, 1996