Applying to Graduate Programs in MIE
MS applicants: If you are applying to our MS in Mechanical Engineering program, you should have an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university, and if you are applying to our MS in Industrial Engineering program, you should have an undergraduate degree in industrial engineering or a related curriculum from an accredited college or university. MS applicants should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0, based on the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework completed.
PhD applicants: Successful applicants for doctoral study should have a master of science degree in their field from an accredited institution and should have completed substantial coursework in the chosen field of study. The department does consider outstanding PhD applicants who have only a bachelor’s degree through a program called “direct admission.” Please see the direct admission section below for more information. PhD applicants should have a GPA of 3.5 or higher on a scale of 4.0, based on the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework completed.
Master of Energy Engineering applicants: The MEE program has its own admissions requirements and process. We invite you to visit the Master of Energy Engineering website, which offers all the information you need.
Application Requirements for MS and PhD Students
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Graduate College and the requirements of the department. In general, applicants should be prepared with the following:
- Admissions application completed online
- Transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work
- English competency test. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take an English competency test. Minimum required scores are: iBT Internet-based TOEFL of 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21; New Paper-Based TOEFL (after August 2018) of 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21; Institutional Testing Paper-Based TOEFL (prior to August 2018) of 550; IELTS of 6.5, with all four subscores of at least 6.0; or PTE-Academic of 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- GRE general test scores (optional but recommended for PhD applicants). The GRE general test is strongly encouraged for PhD students who seek a teaching assistantship or research assistantship. There is no GRE requirement for MS applicants. For applicants who do choose to submit scores, our institution code is 1851, and no department code is required.
- Application for Graduate Appointment form (PhD applicants only). This form is required for PhD applicants who want to be considered for fellowships, assistantships, tuition and fee waivers, and other forms of financial aid.
- Personal statement (PhD applicants only).
- Letters of recommendation (PhD applicants only). Letters should be written by people who are familiar with your academic work and who can assess your potential for success in graduate studies and research. Note: during the application process, you will be asked to provide the email addresses of your references, and UIC will contact these individuals to request the references directly.
Direct Admission for PhD Applicants
Most PhD applicants already have earned (or are about to complete) a master of science degree in mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, or a related field. However, exceptional applicants who seek to start the PhD with only an undergraduate degree may be considered for what is called “direct admission.” Students who are admitted to the PhD program with only a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, or a related field must complete all 108 credit hours toward the PhD degree (compared with students entering with an MS degree, who can transfer in 32 earned credits from their master’s program).
Deadlines for MS and PhD Applications
- December 1: Recommended deadline for PhD students and for scholarship/financial aid consideration
- January 15: Final deadline for MS and PhD applications
More information about application deadlines is available on the Graduate College’s admissions deadlines page.