Constantine M. Megaridis, PhD
UIC Distinguished Professor
Director, Micro/Nanoscale Fluid Transport Laboratory
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 251, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607-7022, USA
Droplets, sprays, aerosols
Experimental diagnostics in micro/nanoscale systems
Multiphase heat and mass transfer
- J. Komperda, A. Peyvan, D. Li, B. Kashir, A. L. Yarin, C. M. Megaridis, P. Mirbod, I. Paprotny, L. F. Cooper, S. Rowan, C. Stanford and F. Mashayek, “Computer simulation of the SARS-CoV-2 contamination risk in a large dental clinic,” Phys. Fluids 33, 033328, 2021.
- M. Jafari Gukeh, T. Roy, U. Sen, R. Ganguly and C. M. Megaridis, “Lateral Spreading of Gas Bubbles on Submerged Wettability-confined Tracks,” Langmuir 36, 11829-11835, 2020.
- T. P. Koukoravas, G. Damoulakis and C. M. Megaridis, “Experimental Investigation of a Vapor Chamber Featuring Wettability-patterned Surfaces,” Applied Thermal Engineering 178, 115522, 2020.
- S. M. Ghodsi, S. Anand, R. Shahbazian-Yassar, T. Shokuhfar and C. M. Megaridis, “In-situ Study of the Molecular Structure of Water and Ice Entrapped in Graphene Nanovessels,” ACS Nano 13, 4677-4685, 2019.
- J. M. Morrissette, P. J. Carroll, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin, D. Waldroup and C. M. Megaridis, “A Methodology to Produce Eco-Friendly Superhydrophobic Coatings from All-Water-Processed Plant-Based Filler Materials,” Green Chemistry 20, 5169-5178, 2018.
- E. Mates, I. S. Bayer, J. M. Palumbo, P. J. Carroll and C. M. Megaridis “Extremely Stretchable and Conductive Water-repellent Coatings for Low-cost Ultra-flexible Electronics,” Nature Comm. 6, 8874, 2015.
- Attinger, C. Frankiewicz, A. Betz, T. M. Schutzius, R. Ganguly, A. Das, C.-J. Kim and C. M. Megaridis, “Surface Engineering for Phase Change Heat Transfer: A Review,” MRS Energy & Sustainability 1, DOI: 10.1557/mre.2014.9, 2014.
- Ghosh, S. Beaini, B. J. Zhang, R. Ganguly and C. M. Megaridis, “Enhancing Dropwise Condensation through Bioinspired Wettability Patterning,” Langmuir 30, 13103-13115, 2014.
- Ghosh, R. Ganguly, T. M. Schutzius and C. M. Megaridis, “Wettability Patterning for High-rate, Pumpless Fluid Transport on Open, Non-planar, Microfluidic Platforms,” Lab on a Chip 14, 1538 – 1550, 2014.
- Jung, M. Dorrestijn, D. Raps, A. Das, C. M. Megaridis and D. Poulikakos, “Are Superhydrophobic Surfaces best for Icephobicity?” Langmuir 27, 3059-3066, 2011. Web of Science Highly cited paper, in top 1% of its academic field based on a highly cited threshold for the field and publication year.
2018, UIC Distinguished Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
2011, Fellow, American Physical Society
2003, Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
1997, Kenneth T. Whitby Award, American Association for Aerosol Research
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
Brown University, 1987
M.S., Applied Mathematics
Brown University, 1986
B.S., Mechanical Engineering
National Technical University, Athens, Greece, 1982
American Chemical Society, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Associate Fellow), American Physical Society (Fellow), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Fellow), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Materials Research Society
- A. L. Yarin, C. M. Megaridis, M. K. Tiwari and G. G. Chase, “Electrospun Fibrous Nanocomposites as Permeable, Flexible Strain Sensors,” U.S. Patent 8,108,157 (issued 1-31-2012).
- C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius and I. S. Bayer, “Method for Preparing Micro-Patterned Superhydro-phobic/Superhydrophilic Coatings,” U.S. Patent 9,139,739 (9-22-2015).
- C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius, I.S. Bayer and J. Qin, “Superhydrophobic Compositions,” U.S. Patent 9,217,094 (12-22-2015).
- J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup, C. M. Megaridis, T. Schutzius and I.S. Bayer, “Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” U.S. Patent 9,364,859 (6-14-2016).
- J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup, C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius and I. S. Bayer, “Non-Fluorinated Water-Based Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” U.S. Patent 9,803,100 (10-31-2017).
- C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin and D. E. Waldroup, “Non-Fluorinated Water-Based Superhydrophobic Compositions,” U.S. Patent 10,005,917 (6-26-2018).
- C. M. Megaridis, R. Ganguly, A. Ghosh and T. M. Schutzius, “Wettability Patterned Substrates for Pumpless Liquid Transport and Drainage,” U.S. Patent 10,421,072 (9-24-2019).
- J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup, D. J. Calewarts, C. M. Megaridis and J. E. Mates, “Non-Fluorinated Water-Based Superhydrophobic Compositions,” U.S. Patent 10,533,096 (1-14-2020).
- C. M. Megaridis, J. Morrissette, P. Carroll, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup, “Low-Fluorine Compositions with Cellulose for Generating Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” U.S. Patent 10,865,317 (12-15-2020).