Constantine M. Megaridis, PhD
UIC Distinguished Professor
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 251, Chicago, IL 60607
Droplet and spray technologies; Experimental diagnostics in micro/nanoscale systems; Interfacial phenomena, Liquid repellency, Micro/Nanofluidics; Multifunctional coatings, Multiphase heat and mass transfer
- E. Papadopoulou, J. H. Walther, C. M. Megaridis and P. Koumoutsakos, “Ultrafast Propulsion of Water Nanodroplets on Biomimetically-patterned Graphene,” ACS Nano 13, 5465-5472, 2019.
- S. M. Ghodsi, S. Anand, R. Shahbazian-Yassar, T. Shokuhfar and C. M. Megaridis, “In-situ Study of the Molecular Structure of Water and Ice Entrapped in Graphene Nanovessels,” ACS Nano 13, 4677-4685, 2019.
- S. M. Ghodsi, C. M. Megaridis, R. Shahbazian-Yassar and T. Shokuhfar, “Advances in Graphene-Based Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy: Working Principles, Opportunities, and Challenges,” Small Methods 1900026, 2019.
- J. M. Morrissette, P. J. Carroll, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin, D. Waldroup and C. M. Megaridis, “A Methodology to Produce Eco-Friendly Superhydrophobic Coatings from All-Water-Processed Plant-Based Filler Materials,” Green Chemistry 20, 5169-5178, 2018.
- U. Sen, S. Chatterjee, R. Ganguly, R. Dodge, L. Yu and C. M. Megaridis, “Scaling Laws in Directional Spreading of Droplets on Wettability-Confined Diverging Tracks,” Langmuir 34, 1899-1907, 2018.
- T. P. Koukoravas, A. Ghosh, P. Sinha Mahapatra, R. Ganguly and C. M. Megaridis, “Spatially-selective Cooling by Liquid Jet Impinging Orthogonally on a Wettability-patterned Surface,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 95, 142-152, 2016.
- E. Mates, I. S. Bayer, J. M. Palumbo, P. J. Carroll and C. M. Megaridis “Extremely Stretchable and Conductive Water-repellent Coatings for Low-cost Ultra-flexible Electronics,” Nature Comm. 6, 8874, 2015.
- Attinger, C. Frankiewicz, A. Betz, T. M. Schutzius, R. Ganguly, A. Das, C.-J. Kim and C. M. Megaridis, “Surface Engineering for Phase Change Heat Transfer: A Review,” MRS Energy & Sustainability 1, DOI: 10.1557/mre.2014.9, 2014.
- Ghosh, S. Beaini, B. J. Zhang, R. Ganguly and C. M. Megaridis, “Enhancing Dropwise Condensation through Bioinspired Wettability Patterning,” Langmuir 30, 13103-13115, 2014.
- Ghosh, R. Ganguly, T. M. Schutzius and C. M. Megaridis, “Wettability Patterning for High-rate, Pumpless Fluid Transport on Open, Non-planar, Microfluidic Platforms,” Lab on a Chip 14, 1538 – 1550, 2014.
- Jung, M. Dorrestijn, D. Raps, A. Das, C. M. Megaridis and D. Poulikakos, “Are Superhydrophobic Surfaces best for Icephobicity?” Langmuir 27, 3059-3066, 2011. Web of Science Highly cited paper, in top 1% of its academic field based on a highly cited threshold for the field and publication year.
2018, UIC Distinguished Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
2011, Fellow, American Physical Society
2003, Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
1997, Kenneth T. Whitby Award, American Association for Aerosol Research
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
Brown University, 1987
M.S., Applied Mathematics
Brown University, 1986
B.S., Mechanical Engineering
National Technical University, Athens, Greece, 1982
- A. L. Yarin, C. M. Megaridis, M. K. Tiwari and G. G. Chase, “Electrospun Fibrous Nanocomposites as Permeable, Flexible Strain Sensors,” U.S. Patent 8,108,157 (issued 1-31-2012).
- C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius and I. S. Bayer, “Method for Preparing Micro-Patterned Superhydro-phobic/Superhydrophilic Coatings,” U.S. Patent 9,139,739 (9-22-2015).
- C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius, I.S. Bayer and J. Qin, “Superhydrophobic Compositions,” U.S. Patent 9,217,094 (12-22-2015).
- J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup, C. M. Megaridis, T. Schutzius and I.S. Bayer, “Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” U.S. Patent 9,364,859 (6-14-2016).
- J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup, C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius and I. S. Bayer, “Non-Fluorinated Water-Based Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” U.S. Patent 9,803,100 (10-31-2017).
- C. M. Megaridis, T. M. Schutzius, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin and D. E. Waldroup, “Non-Fluorinated Water-Based Superhydrophobic Compositions,” U.S. Patent 10,005,917 (6-26-2018).