Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 251, Chicago, IL 60607
Research Interests: The Laboratory for Oxide Research and Education, (LORE) led by Professor Abiade, works on various aspects of thin film growth, processing and characterization. We are particularly interested in the pulsed laser deposition (PLD) growth of oxide thin films and multilayers for thermoelectric devices and other energy related research. In LORE, we are also heavily involved in the mentoring of individuals from diverse backgrounds. We view these activities as a synergistic component of the LORE mission.
- On the Wetting Behavior of Ceria Thin Films Grown by Pulsed Laser Deposition, S.-P. Fu, J. Rossero, C. Chen, D. Li, C. Takoudis and J. T. Abiade, Appl. Phys. Lett., 110, (2017), 081601.
- Transition Metal Dichalcogenides as Highly Active Electrocatalysts for Carbon Dioxide Reduction, M. Asadi, K. Kim, C. Liu, V. Addepalli, P. Yasaei, P. Phillips, A. Behranginia, P. Abbasi, R. Haasch, P. Zapol, B. Kumar, R. F. Klie, J. T. Abiade, L. A. Curtiss, A. Salehi-Khojin, Science, 53, (2016), p. 467
- Dynamic Study of Liquid Drop Impact on Supercooled Cerium Dioxide: Anti-Icing Behavior, S.-P. Fu, R. P. Sahu, E. Diaz, J. O. R. Robles, C. Chen, X. Rui, R. F. Klie, A. Yarin and J. T. Abiade, Langmuir, 32, (2016), p. 6148.
- Highly Efficient Hydrogen Evolution Reaction using Crystallline Layered Three-Dimensional Molybdenum Disulfides Grown on Graphene Film, A Behranginia, M. Asadi, C. Lku, P. Yasaei, B. Kumar, P. Phillips, T. Foroozan, J. C. Waranius, K. Kum, J. T. Abiade, R. F. Klie, L. A. Curtiss and A. Salehi-Khojin, Chemistry of Materials, 28, (2016), p. 549.
- Robust carbon dioxide reduction on molybdenum disulphide edges, M. Asadi, B. Kumar, A. Behranginia, BA Rosen, A. Baskin, N. Repnin, D. Pisasale, P. Phillips, W. Zhu, R. Haasch, RF Klie, P. Kral, J. T. Abiade, A. Salehi-Khojin, Nature Communications, 5, (2014), p. 4470.
- Characterization of Pore Structure in Biologically Functional Poly(2-Hydroxyethyl Methacrylate)-Poly(Ethylene Glycol) Diacrylate(PHEMA-PEGDA), A. Zellander, C. Zhao, M. Kotecha, R. Gemeinhart, M. Wardlow, J. T. Abiade, and M. Cho, PLOS ONE, 9, (2014), p. 1
- Renewable and metal-free carbon nanofibre catalysts for carbon dioxide reduction, B. Kumar, M. Asadi, D. Pisasale, S. Sinha-Ray, B. Rosen, R. Haasch, J. T. Abiade, A. Yarin & A. Salehi-Khojin, Nature Communications, 4, (2013), p. 1.
- Engineering copolymeric artificial cornea with salt porogen, A. Zellander, M. Wardlow, A. Djalilian, C. Zhao, J. T. Abiade, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part A (2013).
- Ferromagnetic ZnO Nanoparticles Prepared by Pulsed Laser Deposition in Liquids, C. Zhao & J.T. Abiade, Materials Letters, 85, 164, (2012).
- Nanofabrication of Doped, Complex Oxides, G. Waller, A. Stein, and J.T. Abiade, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B, 30, No. 1, (2012).
- The Effect of Substrate Temperature on the Structure, Morphology and Photoluminescence Properties of Pulsed Laser Deposited SrAl2O4:Eu2+,Dy3+ Thin Films, O.M. Ntwaeaborwa, P.D.Nsimama, J.T. Abiade, E. Coetsee and H.C Swart, submitted to Physica B: Condensed Matter, 404, 4436, (2009).
- Magnetic Properties of Metal-Ceramic Composite Core-Shell Structures Synthesized Using Coprecipitation and Hetero-Coagulation, M. Karmarkar, R. Islam, C.-W. Ahn, J. T. Abiade, D. Kumar, D. Viehland and S. Priya.in Advances in Electronic Ceramics II, Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, V. 30, Issue 9, (2009), p. 37. Eds. S. Priya, A. Weidenkaff, D. Norton with Volume Eds. D. Singh and J. Salem.
- Thermal transport in composites of self-assembled nickel nanoparticles embedded in yttria stabilized zirconia, N.C. Shukla, H.H. Liao, J.T. Abiade,D. Kumar and S.T. Huxtable, Appl. Phys. Lett.,94, 151913, (2009).
- Thermal conductivity and interface thermal conductance of amorphous and crystalline Zr47Cu31Al13Ni9 alloys with a Y2O3 coating, N.C. Shukla, H.H. Liao, J.T. Abiade, F.X. Liu, P.K. Liaw and S.T. Huxtable, Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 081912 , (2009).
- The Effect of Thin Film Matrix and Substrate on the Coercivity and Blocking Temperature of Self-Assembled Ni Nanoparticles, J. T. Abiade, S.-H. Oh, H. Guo, A. Gupta, and D. Kumar, J. Appl. Physics, 104, 073910, (2008). (highlighted in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology, Oct. 27, 2008)
- Effect of Spacer Layer Thickness on Magnetic Interactions in Self-Assembled Single Domain Iron Nanoparticles, N.B. Herndon, S.-H. Oh, J.T. Abiade, D. Pai, J. Sankar, S.J. Pennycook, and D. Kumar, J. Appl. Physics, 103, 07D515, (2008). (highlighted in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology, Feb. 11, 2008)
- Ferromagnetism in Cu-doped ZnO films: role of charge carriers, M. Snure, J. T. Abiade, A. Tiwari, and D. Kumar, Appl. Phys. Lett., 92, 062509, (2008).
- Structural and Magnetic Properties of Self-Assembled Ni Nanoparticulates in a YSZ Thin Film Matrix, J. T. Abiade, G. Miao, A. Gupta, and D. Kumar, Thin Solid Films, 516, 2082, (2008).
- Enhancement of Critical Current Density of YBa2Cu3O7- Thin Films by Self-Assembly of Y2O3 nanoparticulates, S.K. Viswanathana, A. A.Gapud, M. Varela, J.T. Abiade, D.K. Christen, S. J. Pennycook, D. Kumar, Thin Solid Films, 515, (16), 6452, (2007).
- A Tribochemical Study of Ceria-Silica Interactions for CMP, J. T. Abiade, S. Yeruva, B. M. Moudgil, D. Kumar, and R. K. Singh, J. of Electrochem. Soc., 153, (2006), G1001. (highlighted in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology, Oct. 16, 2006)
- Enhancement of Flux Pinning in YBa2Cu3O7- Multilayered Thin Films Embedded with Epitaxially Grown Y2O3 Nanostructures, A. A. Gapud, S. K. Viswanathan, C. Cantoni, M. Varela, J. T. Abiade, S. J. Pennycook, and D. K. Christen, Supercond. Scie. and Technol., 18, 1502, (2005).
- The Effect of Matrix on Self-Assembly of Nanoparticles for Magnetic and Mechanical Applications, J. T. Abiade, S. Neralla, S. K. Viswanathan, J. Bradley, A. Gupta, and D. Kumar, Proceedings of the ASME International, Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Orlando, FL, (2005).
- Investigation of Ceria-Silica Interactions during STI Polishing, J. T. Abiade, S.Yeruva, S. Jung, and R. K. Singh, CMP-MIC, Fremont, CA, (2005), invited.
- Characterization of the Chemical Effects of Ceria Slurries for Chemical Mechanical Polishing, J. T. Abiade, S. Yeruva, B. Moudgil, and R. K. Singh, Materials Research Society C Symposium Proceedings, p. W8.3, (2005).
- Effect of pH on Ceria C Silica Interactions During Chemical Mechanical Polishing, J. T. Abiade, W. Choi, and R. K. Singh, J. of Materials Research, 20, (5), p. 1139, (2005).
- Effects of Slurry Particles on Silicon Dioxide Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP), W. Choi, S.-M., Lee, J. T. Abiade, and R. K. Singh, J. of Electrochemical Soc., 151, (8), G351, (2004).
- Investigation and Control of Chemical and Surface Chemical Effects,J. T. Abiade, W. Choi, V. Khosla, and R. K. Singh, Materials Research Society C Symposium Proceedings, 861, p. K9.5.1, (2004).
- Estimation of Fractional Surface Coverage During Oxide Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP), W. Choi, S.-M., Lee, J. T. Abiade, and R. K. Singh, J. of Electrochemical Soc., 151, (5), G367, (2004).
- Effect of Slurry Ionic Salts at Dielectric Silica Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP), W. Choi, S.-M., Lee, U. Mahajan, J. T. Abiade, and R. K. Singh, J. of Electrochemical Soc., 151, (3), G185, (2004).
- Characterization of the Chemical Interactions on Copper Chemical Mechanical Polishing, S-M. Lee, J.T. Abiade, W. Choi, and R. K. Singh, Electrochemical Society Proceedings, 2003-21, 295, (2003).
Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering
University of Florida, 2004
Southern University and A&M College, 1999