Kenneth Brezinsky, PhD
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Building & Room:
Office: 2029 ERF Lab Location: 1224 SEL
2039 ERF, 842 W. Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
Office Phone Voice:
Combustion chemistry: The focus is on high temperature gas phase chemical kinetics related to combustion processes in aircraft, and gasoline and diesel related fuels. A very high pressure single pulse shock tube (a chemical shock tube) is used for these studies. The shock tube when coupled to gas chromatography/mass spectrometry permits the examination of stable species formed during the pyrolysis and oxidation.
Funding for these projects typically comes from federal agencies such as National Science Foundation (NSF), Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), and Army Research Office (ARO).
- “Chemical Kinetic Influences of Alkyl Chain Structure on the High Pressure and Temperature Oxidation of a Representative Unsaturated Biodiesel: Methyl Nonenoate”, J. Phys. Chem. A, Article ASAP DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.5b00914, Publication Date (Web): February 24, 2015 (A. Fridlyand, S.S. Goldsborough, K. Brezinsky).
- “Bayesian Error Propagation for a Kinetic Model of n-Propylbenzene Oxidation in a Shock Tube”, Int. J. Chem. Kin. 46(7), 289-404 2014 (S. Mosbach, J.H. Hong, G.P.E Brownbridge, M. Kraft, S. Gudiyella, K. Brezinsky).
- “Influence of the Double Bond Position on the Oxidation of Decene Isomers at High Pressures and Temperatures” , Accepted for publication, Proc. Combust. Inst., 35, 2014. (A. Fridlyand, S. S. Goldsborough, K. Brezinsky, S.S. Merchant, and W.H. Green).
- “Effect of Fuel Molecular Structure and Premixing on Soot Emissions from n-Heptane and 1-Heptene Flames”, Energy & Fuels 27, 6262-6272, 2013 (X. Fu, X. Han, K. Brezinsky and S.K. Aggarwal).
- “Single Pulse Shock Tube Study of Allyl Radical Recombination”, J. Phys. Chem. A 2013, 117, 4762−4776 (Aleksandr Fridlyand, Patrick T. Lynch, Robert S. Tranter, and Kenneth Brezinsky).
2002, Faculty Research Award, UIC College of Engineering
Ph.D., Physical Chemistry
The City University of New York
B.S., (magna cum laude) with Honors in Chemistry
The City College of New York